Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cover Letter

Dear Mentor,

               
                Before this term starts, I have in mind lots of questions about what really is ENGLCOM about. I know the fact that is an English subject but I wonder what this can offer me to make my life more meaningful. Other than having lots of questions in mind, I also do set my goals in making this whole term worth my parent’s money and of course worth my efforts. Of course I cannot let this goals just remain as a plain goals but I wanted to make it an ACHIEVED goals at the end of the term.

                One of my goals is to be able to make “English subject” in general easy for me. English writing was never easy for me, I find it hard to organize and explain my ideas properly. Aside from this I also want to be a better writer as the term ends. I want to share my thoughts and ideas to the rest of the world with pride and quality. And lastly, I want me to bring out the creative side of me, and one of the best ways can be to be a good writer. In this way, I believe I will be able to challenge my mind and soul to be imaginative in coming up with a masterpiece.

                Moreover, I can say that in this portfolio, I was able to bring out the creative side of me through the writing tasks you have given us. It was not easy to choose an interesting topic but when I have chosen one and I believe that it will be an interesting one, with determination in writing these essays, I can say that I was able to explain and share my side. Also, with this, I can say that I was able to acquire the knowledge of organizing ideas for a better essay result and for the reader to understand what I wanted to say. Another one is with this; I was able to apply what was taught to us, techniques, and correct usage of words, proper citing and the like. I might say that these desired learning results were noticeable in my paragraphs though it might not be as good as the professionals, but I believe that I did all of this with pride. Among the desired learning results listed above I must confess that I find citing sources really hard. Citing was not really clear with me but I am trying to understand it in the best effort that I can. I think the best way that I must do to achieve this desired learning results is to practice more in writing using different sources. It may be from an encyclopedia, blogs, noted magazines, books, diligent publication, well known and trusted writers, experts and the like. I should say that it was really easy finding source through the internet but as we all know, not everything that we see in the internet were exactly correct, but at some time we may consider sources coming from credible websites. Also, one of the best ways to achieve this is by having enough patience in doing writings like this. Patience is one of the key that can lead us to the best results we want.

                In all my works, what I am most proud of was my output for my extended definition. I chose “Christmas” as my main topic because I believe that when we say “Christmas” it meant a lot and it varies from each people’s point of view. I can say that I am most proud of this work of mine because I believe that while I am doing this essay, my mind was full of thoughts which I wanted to share to everyone. Also in this masterpiece of mine, I noticed that compared with the rest of my essays, this one has the most organized ideas and I believe thoughts were clearly stated. I hope you have the same thought as mine with this essay. For me this is one of the best, or should I say the best?

                During the entire duration of this course I realized that being a good writer is within every individual. We just need to find time to bring it out and we must also be ready to give a share of our heart in every masterpiece we are doing.  At some point in time we tend to say that no, I am not a good writer but we really is, we just do not discover it because we are afraid to face mistakes. On the other hand, these mistakes are our keys to improvement so therefore we have no reasons to explore trying new things. We might have failures at the start of every journey but this will all lead us to be a better person. In taking this course I was able to know that there was a part of me that can be a good writer somehow but I was not only allotting time to discover it.  Creativity runs in every individual’s soul it only differs in the way we use and show it. To sum up my realizations during the entire course, I can say that I have learned a lot which I believe will be useful in my future life as a student and future career as an individual.

                Through this reading and writing component of ENGLCOM I have learned a lot in writing good essays. Of course, good writing comes with the right knowledge about writing processes. One of which is through this course I was able to know that to be able to come up with a good essay, we must first consider a good topic to discuss. It must fit the interests of our target readers because it will not only benefit me but also them. Another important thing to consider is that when we decide on which topic to discuss, we must be creative right away in coming up with a catchy title that will make them wonder until they become eager to read and know more about it. Also, I have realized that writing was really not hard if your chosen topic interests you personally, meaning we should write about the thing we know and we want to know for us not to feel bored hence it will make us eager to finish it until the end with smiles in our faces. Moreover, I realized that writing can be one of the best ways for us to show our feelings in a creative manner. In here, we can share and express everything we want formally.

                On the other hand, all the writing processes have helped me complete all my essays. With all these techniques I was able to mix and match everything to come up with good pairs for a good essay. I believe that all the writing processes and techniques I have learned for the entire term will really help me in my future essays with other subjects. It might be to plenty to memorize but I must say that we need not memorize each and every technique but rather we need to understand them because once we start in the right path with the correct way, everything else will follow. In addition, the revisions I have made with my essays helped me know my weaknesses in writing. Revising essays might not be that easy because I have to check everything but I believe that it will surely lead me to the right one. Like for example, the revision I have made with one of my major essays, the argumentative one, this really challenged me in lots of different ways. From coming up with a good topic, to finding relevant and trusted readings, up to citing sources, it was all hard for me. But I must say that after all these challenges, what I have written was my best effort.

                To summarize, I can say that ENGLCOM is both worth the money and effort because all the learning I have acquired were all worthless. I am hoping that I will be able to use all of it in a good and productive way. With all these, I must say thank you to you Ms. for sharing with us everything you know.                


                                                                                                                                Your Student,


                                                                                                                      Ana Patricia P. Tanyag
                                                                                                                                        A67





No comments:

Post a Comment